I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 18 – On A More Personal Note…

Yesterday I passed on the news about the expansion of the RO5024048 combination drug trial. Today I’ll pass on the personal news about my condition.

They did all the usual blood draws (only 14 vials this time), and various vitals but no EKG. I didn’t notice that they were not doing it and therefore never asked why it did not happen. When they checked my weight, it turned out I have lost 12 pounds in the last 8 weeks. I had noticed my belt being a bit loose, but I didn’t think I had lost that much weight. I don’t have the energy to exercise heavily so I guess I am eating less than I think.

I’m still undetectable as of week 14 (which was 4 weeks ago) which is the best news of the day. 8 official weeks of no detectable virus levels is encouraging and definitely helps during the various bouts of side effects. About 3 weeks ago they dropped my Copegus dose to 1000mg from 1200mg per day. My Hemoglobin has popped up very slightly but I am still down 35% over normal. The only new development with the shortness of breath associated with the anemia is that now I occasional get out of breath while talking. Thankfully it only tends to happen when I have to project a bit to be heard in a noisy room or in a large group, the usual day-to-day nattering is unaffected (to the occasional chagrin of those subjected to it). White blood cells are low but just above the cutoff line.

About 3 weeks ago, my neutrophil count increased enough that they restored me to a full dose (180mg) of Pegasys from the 3/4 dose (135 mg) that I had been on for about 6 weeks. This brought back a whole raft of side effects that had moderated during the lower dose of interferon. Headaches, rash with itching (thankfully mild), nausea and more intense insomnia all were once again daily, or at least several times weekly, features of life. I had actually thought that my body had begun to acclimate to the treatment drugs, but with the return of all of these side effects, I believe the lower occurrence was due to the lower dose.

I have been having bouts of insomnia for several weeks and given that they have increased with the increase in my interferon dose, the consulting doctor to the study decided to proscribe trazodone to help me sleep. I have taken it twice and while on the first night it did not seem to help at all, the second night found it working better and I think I got a decent night’s sleep. I will report back on the results in the future.

As for reports, taking acetaminophen instead of ibuprofen, just before my Pegasys (interferon) injection has had no effect on my fatigue in the 24-36 hours after the injection. I feel just as crappy taking Tylenol as I do taking Motrin, so much for the miracles of modern pharmacology.

Time to head out the door to the support group. Best of all, I can listen to the Giants game on the way there and maybe on the way back…if I don’t forget they’re playing before I get to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment