I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Personal Evidence of Cognitive Deficits from Hepatitis C Treatment

I am writing this piece having finally managed to tear myself away from the television after watching almost 90 minutes of the Adam Sandler vehicle “You Don’t Mess With The Zohan.” If that is not evidence enough that 46 weeks of treatment have eroded my mental capacities, let me add this nugget: I had to get up, go downstairs, turn the television on and check the listings to remember the name of the movie. Having walked away from the TV not 3 minutes earlier, I could only remember that the movie had the word Zohan in the title but could not recall the complete title.

In the past 6 months of treatment, my critical capacities have deteriorated to the point that I have descended from watching “Celebrity Rehab” through “Jersey Shore” and “Basketball Wives” and now am watching, and more embarrassingly being entertained by, Adam Sandler movies. I have 26 weeks to go in my Hep C chemo regimen, what will I be watching by next June, “Jackass 7, Stupid Geezers in 3D”?

The sad part is that I cannot help myself and neither it seems, can other Hep C chemo veterans. Almost everyone I have talked to about their treatment has admitted that the same thing happened to them. The lucky ones were finally so tired and concentrationally challenged they could not even muster the energy to pay attention to television and just sat staring into space. I suspect that would be preferable to Rob Schneider, Johnny Knoxville, Dane Cook or whatever else might be passing in front of my eyeballs by the end of this.

It is disconcerting to think that this result has a tiny chance of remaining permanent. While I might end up being perfectly happy as a drooling idiot for the rest of my life, I suspect my wife would find that less charming.

But, looking on the bright side, when I finally stop the interferon I can document in painful detail the increase in brain function, the gradual increase in my boredom threshold and the return of my memory. Given that I’ll be approaching 60 by the time I fully recover from all this, I wonder how I will be able to tell if my memory is back or not…

I admit that all of this is anecdotal evidence from a small set of treatment-experienced individuals and does not attain the level of statistical validity, but it is nonetheless disturbing. I’m not sure what would happen if I started to bug my wife to come with me to the latest Adam Sandler classic on opening night.

10 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C about 12 years ago. At first I was emotionally devastated My symptoms were bad and I just felt like I was going to die. My dentist didn't want to see me anymore when I told her that I had the virus, and my family reacted very badly. It was quite an effort, but I didn't give up. just few months ago i found a traditional healer in health forum who cured me with his herbal medicine, i only had the treatment for two weeks and everything was ok with me, i mean i was hundred percent ok. i'm so much exited that i got rid to hepatitis c out of my life. you have the email here attached to contact the traditional healer. drgaligaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C about 12 years ago. At first I was emotionally devastated My symptoms were bad and I just felt like I was going to die. My dentist didn't want to see me anymore when I told her that I had the virus, and my family reacted very badly. It was quite an effort, but I didn't give up. just few months ago i found a traditional healer in health forum who cured me with his herbal medicine, i only had the treatment for two weeks and everything was ok with me, i mean i was hundred percent ok. i'm so much exited that i got rid to hepatitis c out of my life. you have the email here attached to contact the traditional healer. drgaligaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed of hepatitis b in 2012,I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor from Africa,Dr Eveoko who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (HBV), CANCER. ALS Hepatitis A,B/C, fertility spell, Herpes HIV and all types of STDs Infections, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email: eveokoherbalhome@gmail.com he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when I received the herbal medicine through DHL Postal courier service, he gave me the step by step instructions on how to use it. when i make used of it as instructed by him,i was totally cured from the virus within 10 days of usage. i recomment this great Dr to anyone who is seeking for cure to his\her Ailment Indeed he is a very good man, Contact this great herbal doctor . whats-app him with: +2348022010422. you can also reach me at austincalnor@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed of Genital Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) in 2015 and I have tried all possible means to get cured, i even visited Some Hospital where they gave me some drugs like Famvir, Zovirax and Valtrex which are very expensive but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from West Africa who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes Simplex Virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email he sent me a herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 12-14 days of usage, if you are suffering of this diseases you can as well Contact this great herbal doctor via his email; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or whatsapp no:+2349064844957

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Friends i am so glad to write this article today to tell the world how Dr Onokun cured my HPV virus that have been in body since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HPV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, i was checking for solution on the internet then miraculously came across Dr Onokun the powerful herbalist that cure HPV INFECTION,then i contacted his email, i explained everything to him and he prepared a herbal cure and send it to me that was how i got cured from HPV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why waiting and be suffering with this HPV virus when there is someone like Dr Onokun that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS C VIRUS,HERPES VIRUS,ALS VIRUS. you can contact his via: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnose with hpv 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure, he has be given me some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed it, luckily weeks ago i was recommend to Dr onokun for treatment after one week treatment i got cured and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because it was my experienced with hpv. encase anyone need help about this cure email Dr onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com his whatsApp /call. +2349064844957

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so glad to write this article today to tell the world how Dr omohan cured my HPV virus that have been in my body since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HPV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, i was checking for solution on the internet then miraculously came across Dr omohan the powerful herbalist that cure HPV INFECTION,then i contacted his email, i explained everything to him and he prepared a herbal cure and send it to me that was how i got cured from HPV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why waiting and be suffering with this HPV virus when there is someone like Dr omohan that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS C VIRUS,HERPES VIRUS,ALS VIRUS. you can contact his via: email dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail com .whatsapp or call +2348164816038

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnosed of Genital Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) in 2015 and I have tried all possible means to get cured, i even visited Some Hospital where they gave me some drugs like Famvir, Zovirax and Valtrex which are very expensive but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from West Africa who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes Simplex Virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email he sent me a herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 12-14 days of usage, if you are suffering of this diseases you can as well Contact this great herbal doctor via his email; drruzuherbalsolutioncentre@gmail.com or whatsapp no:+2348156962151

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am so glad to write this article today to tell the world how Dr omohan cured my HPV virus that have been in my body since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HPV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, i was checking for solution on the internet then miraculously came across Dr omohan the powerful herbalist that cure HPV INFECTION,then i contacted his email, i explained everything to him and he prepared a herbal cure and send it to me that was how i got cured from HPV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why waiting and be suffering with this HPV virus when there is someone like Dr omohan that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS C VIRUS,HERPES VIRUS,ALS VIRUS. you can contact his via: email dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail com .whatsapp or call +2348164816038

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete