I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Puzzling Evidence



Viral Load Blips Up and Then Back Down

What I feared came to pass at the end of December; I did indeed have a viral breakthrough. My viral load blipped up to 430 IU/ml. This is a relatively small number, though it is a log scale rise from the less than 43 that is undetectable.

It happened at the end of the year, during our open enrollment period when I was not sure whether I would still have the same insurance that would allow me to stay at California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC).

It happened while some of my health care team was taking some well-deserved time off from work.

It happened while I was scrambling to make sure I would have continuity in my medications as all my meds were running low. (While we are told at length not to let our prescriptions run low, the insurance companies will not let you renew expensive meds early.)

This led to three decisions about the disease.

One, there was not a follow-up test to determine whether the breakthrough was real or a false positive. No one knew whether I was going to be covered and no one wanted to be out of pocket the expense of a confirmatory test.

Two, Dr. Bzowej decided that it might be best to discontinue treatment. This was the second time I had a viral breakthrough at 24 weeks on two separate types of therapy (the RG7128 test and the Standard of Care therapy). She felt that I might be the sort of patient that needs 3-drug therapy.

Three, I had finally gotten my meds renewed just before my coverage changed and since I had a month’s worth of Interferon and Ribavirin left, I thought that I might as well keep taking it until it was gone. There was also a brief period of time when I thought I would continue at CPMC, so I thought that I should keeping taking it until the monthly test at the end of January and see what was happening.

I kept up my medication schedule through the month. Though by the end of January, I knew that I would not be covered for CPMC after February 1st, I went in for the viral load test anyway. By the time the results came back, my coverage had expired but the Nurse Practitioner at CPMC, bless her heart, called my with the results anyway. I was back to undetectable. Good news but what did that make the December test, true viral breakthrough (not good) or false positive (not bad)? We’ll never know

When I started at Kaiser, they tested my viral load on February 10th. I came back undetectable in that one as well, though they said there was qualitative detection. That means that there is some evidence that there is still viral activity, but it is so low that it cannot be counted. I am not completely sure what that portends as depending on what you read it is either very bad or indeterminate.

I have been keeping to the medication schedule and go in tomorrow for another viral load test. We’ll keep moving forward.

As a final note, the TV show Royal Pains comes back this summer for another season. Write in and let the producers know we want to see more of “Fisherman Jim” so we can follow the course of his treatment for Hepatitis C. I believe he is the only character on a prime-time TV show with Hep C. I hope he recovers well on the show, but given that he is still running a fishing boat while undergoing interferon and ribavirin treatment, he sure makes me feel like a wuss. That’s the magic of television…

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete