I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

How I told my Wife I had Hepatitis C

I learned that I had Hep C on Friday, October 31st, 2008, Halloween. I told my wife about the diagnosis 3 days later on Sunday, November 2nd, the Day of the Dead. That was not intended by me to be significant, it was just that I felt I had to tell her by the end of the weekend and the days just happened to match.

It took me that long to tell her for two reasons. I had to learn more about the disease and the effect it would be having on our lives and needed the time to do some research. I also couldn’t tell her earlier because Halloween is one of her all time favorite holidays. She loves the costumes, the parties, the marathon showings of cheap horror and terror movies at theaters and on TV. For many years we lived in the Castro district of San Francisco which is legendary for its Halloween celebration and we always went down to be in the middle of the celebration. So it was not as though I could just dump my news on her on the day itself. After all Hep C is not a fast-moving disease and 48 more hours before the bomb got dropped was not going to make any difference.

We went out to Golden Gate Park in the afternoon and stopped off at the art museum, looked at the show (I have no idea what we saw as I don’t remember much about the day other than our conversation), had some lunch and then I told my wife that I needed to talk to her about something important. I know that made her nervous, as we do not generally have specific conversations about “important” events or about the nuts and bolts of our relationship. Those sorts of conversations tend to come up within our day-to-day life and don’t usually need to be specified as something important. So as we walked over to a park bench, both of us were anxious (I know I was anyway) about what was coming.

I actually had two things to tell her. The one I led off with was that I had screwed up the computer by catching a virus and was going to have to take a day to clean and possibly reinstall some stuff and that she shouldn’t plan any projects that would use it for a couple days until I could get that done. She was a little disgusted with that news and ground me a bit for being careless, but then I told her I had something more important to talk about.

I told her that I had gotten a call from doctor K and that he had told me that I had Hepatitis C. He said that he had tested me for Hep C because he noticed in a previous test that my liver enzymes were elevated and had made a note to test for Hep C the next time I had an appointment. I told her that it was a long-term illness and that it didn’t mean that my health was going to be affected in a seriously negative way anytime soon. I also asked her to make an appointment and get herself tested as soon as possible so we knew whether she had it or not. I told her I had a follow up appointment the next week to go over the results with doctor K.

She was stunned. She immediately asked me a bunch of questions about Hep C. How was it passed from one person to the next? What was the timeline of the disease? What were the symptoms and was I suffering from them? How long had I had it? Did I know how I had gotten it? How was it treated?
I told it was a blood-borne disease, that it was not passed in other ways. There was some possibility of transfer by sexual intercourse but it was not clear if that was because of transfer via sexual fluids or because of blood contact during intercourse. I told her that the disease was briefly acute within 6 months of so of contracting it and that if you did not clear the virus then, it settled down into a chronic infection often without symptoms. That, sometime many years later, the disease became symptomatic. The symptoms were liver damage, fatigue, depression and brain fog and that I was definitely feeling some of them. I had no idea how long I had been infected and there didn’t seem to be any way of telling how long and that I did not know how I had gotten it. She knew full well the range of behaviors I had engaged in that might expose me and, as mentioned in other posts, she had done everything I had. She had no intention of busting my balls over how I had gotten the disease. She was far more concerned about what this would mean for my health both in the short term and the long term as well. As for the treatment, I told her what I knew, that it was long, difficult and had a less than 50% chance of success.

She was worried and scared because the only recent contact we had with someone with Hep C was with an old friend who had been diagnosed very late in the cycle of the disease. He had cirrhosis by then, and was not a candidate for transplant. He died within 6 months of the diagnosis. She did not want that to happen to me (needless to say, I didn’t want that either).

She has a background (and 2 degrees) in science and her immediate response was to gather information. After we went home from the park and talked about it some more, realizing as we did that our information was limited to what I had found out on the internet. She immediately hopped in her car, went to the bookstore and got 4 books on Hep C. We spent a cozy and quiet Sunday evening reading about Hep C from the Dummies Guide to Living With Hepatitis C.

I think the fact that I was telling the news to a scientist made a big difference. My wife is used to understanding and learning about, scientific concepts and processes and in way, that is what is happening with my disease. It is something to be learned about, understood and then attacked. The fact that a treatment is available, regardless of the percentage rate of cure, is a huge plus in comparison to so many other diseases that I could have gotten.

We both lived in San Francisco during the 1980s. We both lost a whole swath of friends to AIDS. We still know long-time survivors of the epidemic. While there are many treatments for AIDS available that can fight the virus and extend the life span, there are no cures. Hepatitis C, on the other hand, has treatments in hand that can clear the virus from the blood and many new ones in the pipeline that promise ever higher rates of clearing. She had found this all out by late Sunday night and it helped a great deal to manage the fear and take control of her response to my disease.

Telling my wife I had a disease that had the long term possibility of needing truly serious medical care and possibly being fatal, was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment