I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Fatigue Vs. Normal Life

One of the situations that develop after an extended period of Hepatitis C treatment is the onset of a pervasive fatigue. It is not that you feel tired all the time, it is that your ability to bounce back after exertion becomes much more problematic. This reduced level of recuperation can also extend for several days after the event that brings it on. If you combine that effect with the fact that brain fog makes you forget you have this recovery deficit, it creates for some bouts of exhaustion that can take you completely by surprise.

This sort of fatigue is one of the most widely reported effects of long-term treatment on interferon. The drug seems to eventually saturate your cells at some level and large numbers of patients report effects ranging from extra tiredness at the end of the day, to barely being able to get themselves out of bed without exhaustion.

Several recent examples in my own case come to mind as illustrations of this effect. A few weeks ago I took a week vacation from work. I did not travel anywhere as my wife was working during my time off. I caught up on my sleep, my reading and did one project around the house that had been on my mind for about 10 years. (This is the nature of home ownership, after you do you initial renovations – in our case very extensive – you tend to let the small items slide until you just can’t stand it anymore). Our house has lath and plaster walls that are cracked in several areas and I made it my project to fix cracks in the entryway and stairwell. The first day took about 7 hours of scraping, filling vacuuming and cleaning. I was tired the next day, but it didn’t seem bad. It took about 4 hours that day to finish up and after cleaning and replacing rugs, etc. I felt good about getting the job done, finally. The following day I slept till noon, woke up tired, lasted till about 2 p.m., slept till 5 p.m., was able to stay up and visit with my wife and then was in bed at 10 p.m. and slept till 10 a.m. I was exhausted from the two days of physical activity that had gone before.

A few days after that I went to the baseball game referenced in this post. It was a long game, in mid-week and I followed it up by working the next day. The day after that, I again slept till noon, did a bit of reading and went to bed early in the evening. The mere fact of dropping a 10-hour day (which was primarily recreation) into the middle of the work week flattened me.

The final example occurred last week when I work five straight days instead of my usual four. This didn’t seem like a big deal to me and indeed on off day of Friday, I did not feel terribly tired. Saturday I went to a reunion of a group of folks I have know for over 20 years who used to take long weekends together in the California gold country. It was a relaxing day of eating, talking and sitting around on the deck. The addition of these 5 or 6 hours of excitement and attention to the extra-long work week left me out on my feet the next day. I found myself dozing off reading the paper; riding in the car and just about any time I sat down to take a break from our not-very-strenuous walk.

In each of these cases, I had completely forgotten the previous bout of exhaustion by the time the next one came on. If I had enough energy to remember the fatigue or enough memory to remember the lack of energy, it would make planning my exertions go much smoother…

3 comments:

  1. So it's delayed reaction fatigue, kind of? What would you change, in the way you approach activity, could you but remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Primarily I try to space out my physical (or extremely taxing mental) activities so that there is more recovery time between them. If I remember of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete