I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Undetectable

There is a certain sort of mild agony that accompanies waiting for medical test results. You want to know the results, but at the same time you don’t want to learn anything negative. It is a feeling of “please let me know the results as quickly as possible, but only if it is good news.” If the results are delayed, the tension slowly increases until you don’t care what the results are; you just want to hear something definite. I was in that holding pattern until yesterday when I finally got the first viral load numbers I have seen in a month. The tension turned to relief when I learned I was back to undetectable.

Finally, after 16 weeks of Standard of Care chemo, I am officially back to where I was after 6 weeks of the RO5024048 study. I have definitely been undetectable (under 43 IU/ml by this test) since October 6th. I may have been undetectable since September 23rd, but that was the test the lab screwed up. This means that, among other things, my liver is getting a break from the tissue damage that occurs while fighting the Hep C virus. It can begin to heal and regenerate once again.

It also means there is now a date certain (as the politicians would say) for the end of my Standard of Care chemotherapy. The hepatologists at California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) continue interferon and ribavirin therapy for 36 weeks after the patient reaches undetectable level. That means that June 15th, 2011 will be the end of treatment. Now I can start crossing off weeks on my calendar (or maybe I can start carving marks into my desktop for each week completed) until it is over.

This is all based on the fact that I stay undetectable in each test from now until then, but I have even more motivation now to adhere as closely as possible to the “Best Practices” of the chemo regimen. (Sorry for the corporate terminology in the last sentence, but I was at our strategic planning staff meeting today where I was bombarded with bureaucratic mumblespeak up to and including “creating cross-functional workgroup plans”)

I have a deadline. There is real evidence that the interferon and ribavirin regimen is working. I will hold these facts in front of me like talismans whenever the night sweats get too wet, nothing seems worth eating and getting up the steps of the stadium to the cheap seats leaves me exhausted. It is working and there is an end in sight. It was worth the wait to hear those things.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent news! You're forgiven for the "Best Practices" gaffe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete