I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Friday, October 1, 2010

The End Of The Season – Baseball, That Is.

Fantasy Team Disappoints, Actual Baseball Exhilarates


The Vincent Black Shadows, a fantasy baseball franchise operated by your correspondent for the past 25 years in five different fantasy leagues in three different cities in two different time zones, are limping to a sixth place finish in the Tri-Tip League of Santa Barbara. It was a year that saw the team crippled by injuries, players traded out of the National League and players underachieving due to sloth, pigheadedness and the insistence of playing while injured.

The Shadows pitching staff was particularly disappointing. Young pitchers failed to develop (Paul Maholm, Chris Volstad). Veterans regressed (Aaron Harang, David Bush). Speculative signings failed to pan out (Sean Gallagher, Sammy Gervacio).

The position player side of the roster entered the season weak in power hitting. My plan to leverage my excellent farm system (Starlin Castro, Jose Tabata, Devaris Gordon) as trade bait to acquire sluggers from other teams was scotched by the unexpected early promotions of Castro and Tabata to the big leagues. Adding to my loss of trade leverage were injuries to two key players (John Baker, Mark DeRosa) and the trade to the American League of another (Conor Jackson) leaving my team with holes I could not fill.

Even with this bad luck, I was still in the hunt until late July. I was unable to negotiate the needed trades however, and even my prescient signing of new Milwaukee closer John Axford and the late season additions of Kevin Corriea and Joe Blanton could not generate the necessary momentum for a run at the money. The foundation for next year’s team is very solid, but it is cold comfort indeed here at the tail end of my third year in a row finishing out of the money.

I like to think that the brain fog produced by Hep C and interferon contributed to the Shadow’s disappointing season by impairing the decisions made by the team’s “baseball people.” In fact, now that I think of it, I went symptomatic right about the time that the Shadow’s began their decline…

Major League baseball, on the other hand, has been a delight. My old home team, the Twins are in the playoffs, the Texas Rangers managed by one of my favorite people in baseball, Ron Washington are in the playoffs and Your San Francisco Giants, with a win tonight against the Padres, will win the National League Western Division Championship. The postseason is almost upon us and I have several rooting interests and a friend who has scrambled around and secured tickets.

I am optimistically awaiting my latest viral load results, and the Giant’s game is starting up on the TV and life is good enough for now…

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete