I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Deciding About Treatment - did I avoid a disaster?

I few posts ago I wrote a bit about Questions you need to think about in regards to treatment.

Let me tell you about the first time I made a decision

It was my second visit to the Gastroenterologist, the fabulous Doctor C. The first visit was relatively brief in that we went over a bit about the disease and he order a full set of labs to determine the genotype of the virus, the viral load and a bunch of liver function tests as well as some general blood work. The primary result of the visit was to realize that I had a great doctor on my side. Doctor C is a warm, supportive personality and also a doctor who Listens. He is not one of those folks who are merely waiting for a chance to talk when he is silent. He listens carefully, gives considered answers and is well versed in the details of the disease. He is not a certified Hepatologist, but he does a great deal of work with coinfected HIV patients and is up on the research and the treatments for Hep C.

The second visit was more detailed as we went over the results of the labs. The bad news was that I had genotype 1 which is the hardest to cure. It is also the one infecting the vast majority of North Americans. My viral load was over 4,000,000 IU per ml. which put me in the category considered to be medium-high viral load. My liver seemed to be in good shape with the various enzyme and function tests not indicating there was much damage. By this time my wife and I had read a great deal about Hep C (interestingly enough for those of you following the progression of side effects, I have forgotten a great deal of that information and have to keep looking stuff up to refresh my memory). We had lots of questions and Doctor C took a great deal of time answering them. Then he asked the fateful question. Do you want to be aggressive in your approach to the disease?

Yes, I replied. He told me that he knew of one of his colleagues currently enrolling a study for a Vertex compound VX-950 (now Telaprevir) and reached for the phone. He caught the doctor in, set up an appointment for two days hence and I was in the process of potentially beginning treatment for the disease. I spent the next 2 days doing research on VX-950. It is a protease inhibitor in phase 3 testing and has a Sustained Viral Response result of 62-64% in trials when it is combined with the Standard of Care (Interferon and Ribavirin). The study in question was an open label phase 3 study wherein every participant got the experimental drug; they were just testing for dosage effects. I admit I had a romantic fantasy about the possibility of being in the study: Man is diagnosed with Hep C on Halloween, goes into treatment in January, finishes treatment in December and is declared clear of the virus under 18 months after being diagnosed. We all have our fantasies, mine are usually not about drugs, but this time they were.

I went to the meeting, learned about the study, was told about the drug and the SOC side effects, signed the papers and went in for the lab tests the next day. It turned out that I showed a thyroid abnormality in my blood tests and there was not enough time to get me retested by the official lab in time to get me into the trial. So close and then the chance for the experimental drug was snatched away. It was particularly painful at the time because there are so few phase 3 tests of promising drugs and so very few tests as well wherein everyone gets the experimental drug and there is no placebo group.

As it turned out, it was probably for the best that I did not make the trial.

The next 3 months were spent in an extremely high-stress situation. My organization was moving an entire portion of its operation into a new space. I had been managing a great deal of the operation for my boss, who was in the middle of number of large projects. In January as the facilities move hit is most vital period, his wife became dangerously ill and they suffered a financial reverse which threatened to wipe out their life savings. I had to step forward and assume control of the entire project and manage it through the actual move and start-up of the new facility. I managed to do it, but the cost to my health was extreme. I was exhausted all the time. I went home from work every day and was capable of merely sitting for a few hours before going to bed. My wife is convinced to this day that the stress load spiked my viral load from the 4,000,000 range to the 6,500,000 number it hit in my next test in June.

If I had been going through treatment, I would never have been able to handle the job that was thrust upon me. I would most likely have collapsed either physically or mentally due to the strain. So, even though I lost the chance to get a late-stage experimental drug which raises SVR rates 40% above the standard of care treatment, my health may be better in the long run for missing the opportunity.

I did not examine all the ramifications of my decision before I made it. That is why it is so important to examine all sides of the issue before you reach a decision. It is hard to go through treatment. Even at its best, it is tiring and depressing and long. So think clearly and try to plan for as many eventualities as you can. It can make the difference between a successful outcome and something potentially very ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment