I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Ribavirin, You Take My Breath Away.

Friday the 19th I went in for my week 14 tests. I have now been off the RG-7128 aka RO5024048 study meds for two weeks. They took the usual 15 vials of blood. AG, the other study coordinator, told me that one reason she likes Roche studies is that they do a lot of testing for safety. She said they are concerned about certain test results and side effects that some other drug companies view as peripheral. That is some comfort although the constant returns to the lab for retesting and redraws of blood is grinding me down.

The good news is that the Viral Load remains undetectable. It has now been 6 weeks since I went undetectable. This is an excellent result and makes continuing the study easier to do. Having an EVR is a positive sign for obtaining a sustained viral response (SVR) and being declared cleared of the virus (the doctor’s term) or cured of the virus (the drug company’s term).

The bad news is that my hemoglobin is down to 9.9 on their scale. Normal hemoglobin is 12.7 – 17.00, my baseline was 14.8; this means I am now short about 33% or one third of my hemoglobin and boy does it show. I was walking along the waterfront in San Francisco on Sunday with my wife. I was a short walk of about 1 mile round trip. I had to sit down at the halfway point. Even though I know the reason for it, this just drives me crazy. I hate not being able to physically do the things I would normally be able to do easily. Imagine for yourself doing all the things you normally do during a day only doing them with one third less oxygen in your blood. It tends to make you take things quite a bit slower.

I did a Saturday shift at my job a few weeks ago. This involved running a book sale and boxing up the books after the sale. I had some volunteers to help and they did a great job, but I had to do a lot of boxing and lifting. When I got home, I soaked in the tub for an hour or so and went to bed early. While the next day wasn’t bad, the following Monday, I was barely able to stay awake at work and my boss sent me home early because I looked so exhausted it was beginning to depress our (mostly much older than me) volunteers.

All this keeps bringing me back to what I read in one of the Hep C books, “be patient with yourself, you will not have the same capacity you did before starting treatment.” The book has it exactly right. The problem is actually being patient with yourself. If you had any level of energy and drive before starting treatment, the state you find yourself in whilst on treatment will depress the hell out of you.

I had a great conversation about this with my kid sister the other day and she told me to put down the date I will be ending treatment on the calendar, and to plan to celebrate it in some way. She emphasized that it will be over eventually and things will return to normal. Her advice was that prominently noting the date of the end of treatment would reinforce the concept that there is a definite end to the process. I wonder if spray-painting the date across the front of the house might be going too far; maybe a neon sign? Whatever will put the idea firmly in my head that this too will pass is what I want to do.

One last thought comes to mind about all this. There was a closing page article in the latest Liver Health Today about a guy in Texas who is doing very well while on treatment. He is a hemophiliac with HIV and Hep C. He got himself into top shape over the past few years and has been riding in 100-mile bike races. When he started Hep C treatment, he noted that it slowed him down for a few weeks, but that after a few months he was back and the bike and recently rode in a 150-mile race. He attributes his success to being in shape and to his Christianity. I can’t dispute any of this and in fact I applaud him for his dedication and his ability to deal with adversity and challenge. At our support group, the overwhelming feeling was that stories like this are in some ways inspirational but in many other ways depressing. One of our folks did a 72-week stint of treatment and there were times she could barely move around her house, she was so exhausted. Others talked about being thrilled that they could ride a bike for a bit or going to the golf driving range. Not one of all the people I have talked to who have gone through treatment came close to this gentleman’s achievement. So, is it inspirational or is it egotistical to report these sorts of stories. Don’t know, but the vast majority of us are more in the middle of the bell curve and might be able to use a bit encouragement and advice that actually seems possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment