I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Complexity, Thy Name Is Drug Interactions

I do not envy medical researchers their jobs. While puzzling out the secrets of biochemical reactions and how they can be used to counteract the malign effects of viruses, bacteria, cancerous cells and the effects of defective genes must be fascinating and rewarding work, sorting out the effects and side effects seems dauntingly complex.

To use my case as an example, initially I was taking 3 drugs to attack the Hepatitis C virus. The interferon (Pegasys) and Ribavirin (Copegus) were well known drugs; indeed they are the Standard of Care or SOC, with well-documented effects and side effects. Those effects, however, all vary with the individual receiving treatment. For some, they have little effect on the Hep C virus, for others they are tremendously effective. Some individuals are devastated by the side effects, even to the point of being unable to complete the treatment, others individuals have a relatively straightforward time of it with a few difficult side effects but none that are debilitating. To this well-known set of circumstances they added a new drug, the polymerase inhibitor RO5024048 aka RG7128. Phase 1 testing had already been done using the new drug alone and its side effects noted, but aside from a worrying potential effect on the kidneys, many of the side effects mimicked those of the SOC. So as the study progresses and the effects and side effects are tracked and cataloged, it becomes vastly more complex to attempt to determine which drug might be doing what; what synergistic effects might be occurring between drugs; and what other effects might be the just the degree of effect of each drug on the specific individual undergoing treatment.

As the treatment progresses the Ribavirin wipes out your hemoglobin and gives you anemia and potentially itchy rashes. The interferon wipes out your white blood cells, saps your energy, fogs your brain, tends to give you depression and robs you of the ability to sleep well if at all. So to counteract these effects, additional drugs are prescribed. To continue the example of my case, I am currently taking 4 additional drugs. Firstly, I was given Tramadol (Ultram) to counteract the fact that as part of my interferon cycle, the muscles along the sides of my body can be achy and painful enough to leave me unable to lie down. As you might imagine this makes it difficult to sleep. Next, as the general insomnia caused by the interferon kicked in, I was given Trazadone to use as a sedative. Then, as the interferon gradually eroded my natural good cheer (okay my occasional good cheer) they prescribed an antidepressant, Paxil. In order to bridge the time it took for the Paxil to reach full effect, they added Ativan to the witches’ brew of drugs. The side effects of the Paxil necessitated a switch to another antidepressant, Celexa, but the total result is still the same. I am taking 4 additional drugs to counteract the effects of the drugs I am taking for the Hep C.

A final complication during the trial is changing dosing of drugs. In this trial, we only took the experimental polymerase inhibitor for either 8 or 12 weeks and potentially (depending on which arm of the trial you were in) at three different strengths. So after the first 12 weeks of the trial we were all down to 2 anti-Hep C drugs. There is also dose-adjusting going on for those two drugs as well. I have administered full, half and ¾ doses of interferon and even been told to skip a dose at various times during the study depending on my various white blood cell counts. I have been reduced to a lower level of Ribavirin to attempt to counteract my anemia. These sorts of adjustments are the norm for various patients throughout the course of the study.

To all this you can add the complicating effects of human foolishness, forgetfulness and folly (I should have written sports headlines). Again, we have the convenient example of my own case as an illustration. The context for this particular case of foolish forgetfulness comes from two previous posts. In one, I detailed all the benefits of The Everything Tastes Like Crap Diet, in the other I mentioned that chocolate had some very powerful effects on me after I started treatment. Well, the third day after I started the Paxil, while still in the speed rush phase of the acclimation period, I began to actually fell hungry again. I don’t know if it was the psychological effects of the Paxil or just because my body was using so many calories it was crying for food, but I went to the store with a real desire to buy food. I also noticed that foods I had not though appealing in weeks or months began to seem like they would be really good. The though of eating ice cream occurred to me for the first time in months, particularly chocolate ice cream. So I bought a pint of chocolate ice cream and went home and ate it in one sitting. The next day I did it again, and the next. All this time I was noticing that I was jittery and had a great deal of nervous energy. The jitteriness was moderating as the days went by (as I acclimated to the Paxil I thought), but did it occur to me that the effects of the massive doses of chocolate might be contributing to this? Heck no, never crossed my mind. By the way, despite the massive influx of delicious fat into my body, I still continued to lose weight.

Due to side effects that I believe are completely unrelated to any chocolate consumption (chocolate is supposed to increase libido, I believe), they switched me to Celexa. About 4 days in to the Celexa regimen, I once again noticed that I was a bit jittery and nervous. Finally it occurred to me that I had been eating a lot of chocolate. That same day, as I bought my pint of ice cream on the way home from work, I bought vanilla and have ever since. I haven’t noticed a huge difference, though I continue to be less jittery and nervous every day, but there is one more piece of evidence that I just can’t ignore.

I was at work today and I got a bit hungry around 11:00 a.m. I went down to the lunchroom and among the volunteer snax there was a bowl what I thought was trail mix but turned out to be pure M&Ms. I took a small cup of them went back up to my lair and proceeded to nibble on them as I prepped eBay auctions. About 15 minutes later I noticed I was a lot more wired than I had been before. It was not just a sugar rush, it was the jitters, case closed.

So, not only do the researchers have to deal with the seemingly endless complications of drug to disease interactions, drug to drug interactions and drug to human interactions, they also have the wild card of patients who can’t even keep track of their own food reactions. And these reactions are the ones the researchers are never even aware exist. Good luck to all of them, because we patients aren’t always reliable reporters.

I blame it all on the brain fog…

No comments:

Post a Comment