I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Round and Round the Drug Carousel.

It’s been a few more days and the antidepresseant cycle has modified into a steady spaced out condition. It has the sort of charectaristics I mentioned in the past post be without much nervous energy, or any energy at all for that matter. It’s sort of a passive, pleasant, unconcerned state of mind. I have no real idea if that is the intent of using antidressants in the context of a chemotherapy regimen, but that is where we are.

My weight has stabilized, but the sexual dysfunction persists. I don’t really have the interest to even attempt it anymore. That fact that it doesn’t bother me creeps me out.

I went in today for yet another redraw to check neutrophil and lymphocyte counts. They were low enough last week that I was told to skip my interferon dose. They hope that the interruption of the interferon dose with allow a bounce back of my white cell counts and allow me to resume the interferon with the next dose.

After the blood work, AVB quizzed me at length again about my reactions to the Paxil, whether the Ativan had helped with the symptoms and how I generally felt about being on the Paxil. I told her about the powerful initial side effects and the time it took for them to call down. I mentioned that I was now in a state of steady unconcern with a side order of being spaced out and out of focus. I also told her that I thought that Doctor NB could do a great favor for future patients by spending some time to go over the more likely side effects and the periods of time that they might expect them to last. AVB asked whether the pharmacist went over the side effects and I informed her that at my inner city pharmacy, their was never much in the way of consultation.

I also went over the sexual side effects. She was quite concerned and put in a call to Doctor NB for a consult. As she said, the treatment is hard enough to deal with without removing your enjoyment of a basic component of living. She also mentioned that sex is one of the ways for couples to feel close to each other and offer support and during treatment, you need that more than ever.

It took about 25 minutes for Doctor B to arrive and the fact that I sat calmly and stared out the window without a care in the world for most of that time speaks to the spaceyness I was feeling.

When she arrived, Doctor B apologized to me for not spending the necessary time on side effects the last time we talked. She stated that they often left that to the pharmacists but that was not really acceptable. It was gracious and heartfelt of her and I appreciated it. After hearing about the sexual issues, she decided to switch me to another antidepressant. This one is also an SSRI, but is a different drug. It has a much smaller incidence of negative impact on sexual functioning. She went over the expected side effects (hooray!) and sent me out the door with a prescription for Celexa. She told me to hold on to the Paxil because you never know.


After Doctor B left, AVG talked about the many and varied forms of antidepressants. She said that someone like myself who is a virgin to those types of drugs is much harder to prescribe. Many people come into treatment with a history of antidrepressant use due to the side effects of Hep C and thus already know that Welbutrin works, but Zoloft, Prozac and Celexa do not for example. It may take even another drug before we settle on the best fit for me.

So once again, I am armed and dangerous with celexa in my holster and heading for a showdown with my other drugs, or something.

2 comments:

  1. Came upon your website while researching zoloft side effects. You are hardcore- with such a serious cocktail of drugs and it sucks that there seems to be so many side effects. I started propecia in the last year and it held my hair in place and gave me fuzzies here and there- can they write you a scrip for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it turns out, my hair started to grow back - very slowly - when I got off the treatment at the end of July 2011. I cut it all down to buzz cut level to balance the old and the new and it turns out I had a bit more than I thought. My wife even likes the new look.

    ReplyDelete