I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Doing The Serotonin Space-Out

The speed rush has finally mellowed. I am no longer jittery with loads of nervous energy. I am now in a mostly calm and definitely spaced-out frame of mind. There is still a bit of jumpy legs and feet that comes on in the evening, but half of an Ativan generally calms that down.

It is difficult to describe the state I find myself in. It feels as though both of my eyes are not focusing together. While I can see clearly when I concentrate on something, those things at the edge of my visual field seemed to be focused at different distances. When I turn my head and move my visual field it has to come to a resting point before everything seems focused. It is as if there is a piece of slightly distorted glass between my eyes and what I am looking at.

This feeling is not disconcerting because my mental state is definitely toward the unconcerned side of the spectrum. I find both the visual and mental effects to be interesting, but ultimately of little matter. I am concerned enough to limit my driving to the minimal I need to do to handle my treatment and occasionally my job. I don’t intend to return to driving as much as I did a few months ago until this all settles down.

There is an additional side effect which is of concern. The fact that it is important to me and yet still does not make me upset or anxious certainly speaks to the power and effect of the antidepressants. Antidepressants in general and Paxil in particular can cause side effects in your sexual functioning. I have noticed a definite and extreme drop in my libido. I don’t much care about sex and indeed have not had an erection in about 5 days. The few times I have achieved an erection and engaged in sexual activity, I have found that it is impossible to have an orgasm. This is most frustrating and that frustration can cause a real impediment to the intimacy that sex brings about between two people. You are much less inclined to want to do it if there is no payoff at the end of the process. The wife of an old friend of mine had the same problem when she was on Prozac. She still liked sex but the complete inability to have an orgasm eventually drove her to swear off all antidepressants.

I am not going to go that far, but I am going to talk to my doctors. I am going in for yet another blood redraw (the 10th time) and will sit down with them and go over the side effects I am experiencing. There are a wide range of antidepressants with a number of mechanisms for achieving their effects, so it is certainly possible to switch from one to another until you find one that works best for you.

It is most important to keep in close touch with you doctors about the effects whatever antidepressant you are taking is having upon you. If they are debilitating or just very difficult to endure, talk about changing drugs. There are a wide range of them. All individuals react differently to the individual drugs. So moving from one to another to find the one that works best for you is standard procedure for these drugs. Do not let your doctors tell you that you have to endure difficult or debilitating or scary side effects. You do not and in fact have the right to get the best treatment for your situation.

So use the calm resolution that you are striving for to stand up to the man if you have to. Insist on your right to the correct drugs. Make sure that you keep communications open so that you and your doctors can finally settle on the treatment modality that is best for you.

Believe me, it’s better than being spacey, impotent, anxiety-ridden or suicidal, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment