I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Why Research Trials put the P in Pain, the F in Fatigue and the M in Mental Breakdown.

The pitfall of participating in a research drug trial for Hepatitis C is that it will tax your mind and body more harshly than if you underwent the standard treatment or Standard of Care. The upside of participating in the trial is that you get a chance to take a drug that improves (sometimes drastically) you chance of clearing the virus. In order to do the research necessary and gather the data needed for the study, the subjects of the research are required to enter the study “naked” or without the support of drugs and supplements that can help mitigate the side effects of the anti-Hep C medications, at least until the study doctors decide to administer any such mitigating therapies. (The word “naked” refers to a baseball term reported by Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn of the San Diego Padres. He stated that during his time in the Major Leagues players who took the field without using amphetamines were said to be “playing naked”).

What this means in practical terms is that the subjects of a research study will experience all the side effects of the anti-Hep C medications without the benefits of many of the established remedies that patients who undergo the Standard of Care of Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin can take advantage of from the very beginning of the study.

Pegylated Interferon is well known to cause depression, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, insomnia and depressed white blood cell counts. Patients undergoing SOC through their doctors are often prescribed antidepressants before the start of the study in order to combat the depression. They are routinely prescribed anti-nausea medications and sleep aids from very early in their treatment to deal with those particular side effects as well. Ribavirin is well known to cause anemia (often severe), itchy rash, nausea and muscle pain. SOC patients are prescribed drugs to combat the anemia, given anti-itch creams (often with steroids), anti-nausea meds and painkillers for muscle and joint pain. These are usually given as the symptoms are reported and continue for the length of the treatment. This is not exactly the case with the subjects of a research study and there are very good reasons for that.

As I discussed in this post, the effectiveness of the Hep C drugs and the results of drug interactions are complex things to parse. Combine that with trying to track the side effects caused by the study drugs and you need to control as many of the variables as you can for an effective study. To that end during the screening process for the study, the study doctors want to know every drug and supplement you are taking. If any of them would interfere with their ability to determine the effects of the study medications, they will ask you to stop taking them or, if you cannot stop taking them for medical or other reasons, they may disqualify you from participating.

The same need for a controlled medical environment applies once the study begins. The researchers need to track the efficacy of the treatment drugs and the number and severity of the side effects. To do this, you need to experience the effect of the drugs and the side effects of the drugs without the interfering effects of other treatments and if there are other compounds you are taking, they need to be able to track their use.

So you are going to experience the side effects in full force. It is when the side effects are either dangerous or interfere with your ability to continue with the study that you may be prescribed something to help you deal with them. To use my case as an example, I have not and will not be prescribed anything to deal with the anemia caused by the Ribavirin. This is because they want to track as clearly as possible whether this new combination of drugs changes the instances and severity of the anemia. Many other individuals I have talked with about their treatment experience were given drugs to stimulate red blood cell production. Rather than do that the researchers have adjusted my Ribavirin dose to try to keep my hemoglobin count above the minimum they require to continue the trial. I have not been given anything to help with my white blood cell counts but have had my interferon dose adjusted and even skipped to attempt to keep my neutrophil and lymphocyte counts above the minimum to continue the trial. When I began to report muscle pain associated with treatment, I was told to take over the counter medications. It was only when I reported that the pain acute enough to interfere with my sleep, that I was prescribed a painkiller.

Interruption of your normal sleep patterns is one area that they respond to fairly rapidly. The researchers believe that getting enough sleep is vital to your ability to be able to complete the study. They want to hear if you are having difficulty sleeping and they want to be the ones to determine what remedy, be it over the counter or prescription you are going to take to combat the problem. It is a matter of controlling the variables again. In my case, about 6 weeks after the had prescribed the pain med Tramadol to deal with the pain that was keeping me awake I reported that I was having difficulty getting any more than 4-5 hours of sleep per night. They immediately prescribed Trazadone to help me sleep.

Depression is another major side effect that gets handled differently in a study. Unless a patient was already taking an antidepressant previous to screening for the study, they generally do not prescribe them until the researchers believe they are necessary to your ability to complete the study. Those of us undergoing the study in San Francisco were all given information on strategies to handle the stresses of the treatment and programs to give support to Hep C sufferers, but we were not prescribed anything for the condition until they were convinced we needed it. In my case it was about 18 weeks into the study before AVB began to believe I needed to be given something. By that time, it took me three weeks to gather my thoughts and energy enough to realize I was beginning to tip over into serious depression. At that point, they moved fast and started me on SSRI antidepressant drugs.

All these discussions and examples are provided to make sure you think about this aspect of a research study. I did not consider it at all. It was not until I had been in treatment for a few months that I went to a support group and talked to people who had undergone the standard treatment, that I found out that they were routinely prescribed things to deal with side effects. It was then that it hit me that as lab rats for Roche, we were going “naked” in the study. I have a bit of background in science and my wife has “A Masters Degree In Science,” as Doctor Science used to say. We both realize that controlling study variables is essential to getting good data and ending up with a useful study. I just didn’t think clearly at the beginning of the study, that I was the one whose variables were being controlled and that might mean the course of treatment might be a bit rougher than the SOC.

Knowing what I know now, I would not choose differently. In my mind, the chance to take a drug that increases my chances of clearing Hepatitis C genotype 1a by 50% is worth the potential of having a harder time in treatment. I wish I had thought it through and prepared myself mentally for the realities of what that would mean, but I would not change my decision.

Your decision is up to you. Think it through; be aware of what entering a research study means and then with the most forethought you can, make up your mind.

1 comment:

  1. I have read so many content on thhe topic of the blogger lovers butt this pirce of writing is truly a good article, keep it up.


    my weblog; teeth whitening kit

    ReplyDelete