I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Standard of Care Pace vs. Research Pace

I just got my latest viral load numbers back from the lab today. The viral load has declined to just a bit over 1500 I.U./ml. I have now achieved a log level reduction in viral load since the peak of the viral breakthrough. This is great news but also points up one of the biggest differences between being on the Standard of Care treatment of interferon and Ribavirin and the research trial treatment of interferon, Ribavirin and Polymerase Inhibitor RO5024048. The Hep C virus is definitely harder to kill on only two drugs instead of three.

My viral load progression on Standard of Care has been:

Week 1: 40,000 IU/ml. (peak number of viral breakthrough)
Week 2: 10,000 IU/ml
Week 5: 5,000 IU/ml
Week 7: 1,500 IU/ml (log 1.6 reduction)

My viral load progression on the Research Trial drug was:

Week 0: 12,900,000 IU/ml.
Week 1: 4,260 IU/ml (log 3.48 reduction)
Week 2: 1,110 IU/ml
Week 4: 195 IU/ml
Week 6: undetectable (log 5.83 reduction)

As you can see, the pace at which the virus is destroyed is much slower (though steady) on the interferon and Ribavirin combination. It has taken 6 weeks to get a log 1.6 reduction from the peak breakthrough number when it only took one week to get a log 3.5 reduction from my pre-trial viral load on the polymerase inhibitor. This has taken some getting used to. You get spoiled on the three drug therapy, especially in the case of the polymerase inhibitor because it does not seem to carry major additional side effects along with it. While I steadily heading towards the log 2 reduction in my viral load needed by week twelve after the breakthrough in order to continue treatment, it seems to be happening in slow motion after the knockout blow the RO5024048 dealt the virus while I was on the three drug combination.

While this may pose a few psychological issues for me to deal with, the overall outlook for the polymerase inhibitor plus interferon and Ribavirin mode of treatment is very good. It definitely deals a hammer blow to the virus and so far, most of the individuals I have talked to who are in the trial (admittedly a very small sample) have not reported serious side effects associated with the RO5024048. Also the addition of a new group to the trial which will receive the drug for 24 weeks instead of the 8-12 weeks we got it indicates that the safety issues are not a major concern and that the drug is promising enough to expand the range of patients eligible. This is all very good news for people both awaiting treatment and considering their treatment options. Another effective tool appears to be on the way in the battle against the Hep C virus.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete