I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Treatment Update - 5 weeks along in Standard Therapy

My latest viral load test results came back and I have a viral load of just a hair over 5,000 I.U./ml. That is a 3.76 log reduction from the 12,900,00 I registered at the beginning of treatment 29 weeks ago. It also shows a trend in the right direction following the viral breakthrough. My numbers from week 24 going forward are 17,000; 40,000; 10,000 and now 5,000. While the 5,000 number is not yet a truly significant reduction from the peak of my breakthrough viral load, it is getting awfully close.

Two other numbers are showing some change as well. My hemoglobin has dropped to 8.2 from the 11.4 it had climbed to after they reduced my Ribavirin dose to 1000 mg. during the final 6 weeks I was in the research study. My neutrophil count has dropped to 500 in the five weeks since they reinstituted a full dose of interferon. The response to these test results by my hepatologist illustrates clearly the difference in being treated outside of a research study. As I discussed in this post, the researchers running the study need to control, as thoroughly as they possibly can, the drugs that are utilized in the study. One of the primary goals of studies like this, after they determine the drug is effective against the virus, is to determine the side effects and potential dangers of the drug. They know the side effects of the standard of care and by adding only the new drug to the treatment, they can see if it amplifies or minimizes or introduces completely new side effects to the standard treatment. So when presented with test results that show that the research subject has anemia or low neutrophil counts they adjust the doses of the standard of care drugs or the research drugs to determine whether this is what is causing the problems. Unfortunately this can result, as in my case, in reducing the effectiveness of the treatment.

Now that I am being treated outside the research study in the standard of care therapy, they have a panoply of treatments they can use to address the problems and keep me on the full doses of the anti-viral drugs. In my case, the hemoglobin count went down fairly quickly and they put me on folic acid to attempt to build up my red blood cells. When that did not have much effect after about 10 days of taking it and my hemoglobin continued to fall, they prescribed procrit, a drug that directly stimulates red blood cell production. It is a drug that has to be injected once a week under the skin, like the interferon. In doing this for the first time, I tried to inject it into a pinched-up roll of fat on the right side of my belly area and discovered that the skin in that part of my body is like rubber. After trying three times to push the needle through this highly resilient and puncture-resistant patch of skin, I gave up and tried my left side. On that side it went right in and the injection was no problem. I’m thinking of offering the skin on the right side of my spare tire as a new material for bicycle tires. Spare tire tires; alligator skin tires; super skin tires; there has to be some money in selling skin outside the skin industry.

They are also attacking the low neutrophil count by prescribing neupogen another injectable drug that stimulates white blood cell production. I am currently in the process of urgent insurance authorization for that drug and should start using it next week. My wife thinks all this is turning me into a pincushion, as I will now be injecting three different drugs every week. I am also taking levothyroxine to stabilize my thyroid function. The change in thyroid function is also a side effect of the interferon. Luckily, this drug is in pill form and I take it once a day. The three drugs mentioned here are all being taken to enable me to continue taking full doses of interferon and Ribavirin to combat the Hepatitis C virus.

So the drug roster being taken either weekly or daily to fight the Hep C or the side effects of the drugs is:
Pegylated Interferon
Ribavirin
Procrit
Neupogen
Levothyroxine
Celexa
Trazadone
Tramadol
Ativan
The final numbers are not in yet as my nurse AR is working to find the cheapest drugs with the lowest copays but so far it works out to be a bit over $375 per month in copayments. This may go up or down some but if it holds at that number it is about $4500 for the duration of the treatment, assuming no additional drugs are needed.

Considering the only drugs I ever really took up until this time were the occasional course of antibiotics; painkillers after surgery or some muscle relaxants after throwing my back out, this level of involvement with the pharmaceutical industry is a whole new world…

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete