I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Disability Two-Step


Applying for Disability as mentioned in an earlier post, should be a relatively straightforward process. Contact your doctor and tell them you would like to go on disability and give them the reasons you feel it is necessary. With Hepatitis C, it is generally pretty standard for your doctor to have a very clear idea of what you are going through and why disability would help. You contact the state for a form, fill it out, take it in to your doctor, they fill it out, it is mailed back to the state. Then the state contacts your employer to confirm that you work there and what your salary is. You are sent a notification of the amount of money you will receive and within a few weeks of the start of your disability period, you begin to receive your benefits. Like all purportedly simple processes, the difference between the ideal and the real, the concept and the reality are far different. Such was the case with my claim as well.

After being advised by my friend Dr. Sue that I should go on disability, I approached my Human Resources department to get some basic information. They described the process, exactly as above, and that was the only thing they got right. They informed me that I would get between 75% and 95% of my normal pay but that I had to use up all my sick time before my benefits could start. Both of these statements were wrong. California SDI pays you 55% (in my case that meant $492/week) of your standard pay up to a maximum of $975 per week. So if you make $150,000 per year you would still only get $975 week. However, the benefits you receive from SDI are tax free, which makes them stretch further. You do not have to use up all your sick pay, if your employer grants you any that is. You only have to inform them if you are using any of it during the term of your disability claim. The HR folks also did not know what the status of my health insurance would be during the term of my disability. The moral here is check out everything for yourself, the professionals paid to assist you in these matters may not know what they are talking about.

I filled out the forms and took them to my doctor. He filled them out and they mailed them in to the state. The disability benefits start to accrue 9 days after the last day you work. I put down that my last working day was the 23rd of April. I also told them that I would be using 6 days of paid sick time to bridge the gap between my last day of work and the date my benefits began to accrue. This was fine with them and the said my benefits would start to accrue on May 1. The first payment would come 14 days after the benefits started to accrue. On May 2nd I received my official notice from the state of the amount of my benefits. Things seemed to be moving along well. On May 12th I received a notice that my benefits were not going to be granted and I could file an appeal if I so desired. The heartburn started on the spot. I called the included number and the courteous state employee told me that the notice of denial was a standard form they sent out when they had not yet received all the necessary paperwork. They had attempted to contact my employer 3 times by phone to no avail and had sent a form to them to fill out but had not yet received it back. He then told me to file an appeal to protect my rights and contact my employer to find out what was going on. I contacted them and was told that the form had been sent to the state the day before and they had no record of any phone calls about the matter.

A phone call to the state 5 days later to find out whether the form had arrived yielded the information that it had not. A different, but equally courteous, state employee said that employers failing to send in paperwork was the single biggest problem his agency had in processing claims. He said that the second most common problem they had in claim processing was doctors filling out the forms in completely unreadable handwriting. He mentioned that it was not uncommon for forms to be handed around the entire office in an attempt to find someone able to decipher what doctors had written on claim forms. He also said that filing an appeal was something I should do immediately. I filed an appeal that afternoon.

Two days later another courteous state employee called to inform me that they had received my appeal but still no paperwork from my employer. He then took my employment information over the phone and after asking me to swear that it was correct told me he would process the claim that afternoon. Seven days later I received my first payment. It was 25 days after my last day of work.

The form of the payment itself was another slight curveball. Rather than pay via check or direct deposit of funds into a bank account, the state of California now provides people who receive benefits with a debit VISA card. The disability account attached to that card is replenished by the state every two weeks with your payment. This is ostensibly to provide those without bank accounts an easier way to access their funds than taking a check to a check cashing shop. For anyone with a bank account it involves transferring money from the card to your account in order to pay your bills. VISA, of course, extracts small transaction fees for the various money movements. I can just imagine the VISA lobbyists talking to the state bureaucrats to get them to make this change. How many dinners, free trips and outright bribes did it take to get this deal done? Who knows, but credit VISA for seeing it through.

Things went swimmingly right up until I was about to finish up my treatment at the end of June. I contacted my doctor to confirm the end of my disability term and was astonished to hear that it was over on July 1. After asking how a patient who had been in treatment for 18 months and for whom the side effects were severe enough to eventually require a stint on disability could be considered fit to return to work full time 24 hours after the last dose of their treatment medication, they averred that they have made a mistake. After running some more forms back and forth and sending them in to the state, an extension till August 1st was granted.
An issue of primary importance when considering disability is what the status of your health insurance will be during the time you are disabled. Your employer is not required to pay your health insurance. They may if they choose, but they do not have to. My employer cut off my health insurance and offered my COBRA while I was on disability. Given that COBRA payments would have been in the neighborhood of $750 per month, it would have used up about 35% of my benefits just to pay health insurance. Without health insurance I could not afford to continue treatment, so this is a crucial consideration. Luckily, my wife has health insurance under which the spouse can be covered. If this had not been the case, I could never have taken advantage of the disability benefits on which I had been paying premiums the past 10 years.

Disability is definitely something that anyone in treatment should look in to if it is available to you. The rest you get helps your mental attitude, you physical condition and leaves you in far better shape to survive and prosper from your treatment. Treatment can be brutal and disability benefits can relieve some of that brutality for you.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete