I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Leaving the Support Group


As discussed previously in this post, support groups are an excellent program for HEP C sufferers. They provide a safe and secure environment to talk about the disease. They are a useful pool of knowledge about the side effects, the strategies for coping with them and, of course they provide a wealth of information about treatment. The sheer relief of finding people who have had similar trials, successes, and failures is worth attending in itself. All that being said, I stopped going to my support group in January of 2011.

Some of the reasons are the same as the ones described in this post, some are more personal. The overall tone of the group began to seem as though it was a group therapy session for folks with social interaction deficits rather than a support group dedicated to dealing with HEP C. The amount of time spent discussing the relationships and personal difficulties of the people in the group began to outweigh the time spent discussing the effects of HEP C on their lives and the sharing of knowledge about facing and treating the disease. While this kind of discussion was clearly important to those who initiated it, it seemed to me to be a case of too much information and too much bitching. It never bothers me when someone bitches about the difficulties the disease or its treatment creates in their lives, it does not seem relevant to here repeated complaints about their fathers, mothers, brothers and others in their lives. This may very well be an example of my being selfish and not caring enough about my fellow HEP C sufferers. I fully admit this. But I would rather spend the time talking about the disease, the treatments, the knowledge others have about these things and the general state of the HEP C community, research and public awareness of the disease. All of these concerns can be personal and can intersect with the personal lives of the folks with the disease; I just don’t want to hear about their landlord having a problem with their cat.

It came to a head when I realized that I had to take an Ativan before going to the meetings in order to get through them without becoming anxious and upset. It seemed that the requirement to be tranquilized to go the meeting was probably a sign that they had outlasted their usefulness. I still remain in contact with a few of the people in the group, but the dynamics of the actual bi-weekly meetings just became more than I could stand.

I still believe that support groups are a great resource. If you have one in your area you should definitely check it out. The chances are that it will be a great source of emotional support and information. Everyone with HEP C deserves all the support they can get and a support group is a great place to seek it. Perhaps those of us who are surly loners just can’t handle all that good feeling. Ah well…

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete