I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Speed Bump On The Road Back

Just in case I didn’t get the memo that it was going to be a long slow road back to full mental functioning, there was a reminder for me this morning. We had ordered a Chicago-style pizza for dinner last night and, as expected, there were leftover slices after we gorged ourselves. The plan was to take one of these massive wedges of dough and cheese to work for lunch. A good plan: easy, quick and needing minimal effort in the morning to prepare. Things did not quite work out that way.

I got up, did my stretching, drank my green tea (this is California after all) and took out the container with the pizza and set it on the counter. After a quick bathroom break, I returned to the kitchen and realized lunch still needed to be made. After moving aside an annoying plastic container, I laid out bread, cheese, roast beef, tomato and lettuce. Just at the point of finishing the sandwich and putting it into the waxed paper bag, I looked down and saw the pizza sitting right there on the counter were it had lain, forgotten (indeed, even shoved aside) during the process of making the sandwich. It turns out that my brain is just as capable of being distracted and forgetful 4 weeks after finishing treatment as it was during the height of treatment. You could say that there is nothing like the feeling of foolishness that accompanies this sort of brain lock, but I have felt it so many times during the past many months that it has become all too familiar. Here’s hoping that the brain fog starts to burn off in the near future.

The silver lining was that the pizza was just as good for dinner as it would have been for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment