I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bad News is Not So Bad 2

The Kindness of Doctors.

All of us who have being living in the American health care system have stories of the system letting people down. Doctors who sleepwalk through their job; insurance companies that find any way possible to deny care; nurses who are surly and hostile; hospitals that warehouse and ignore patients. After a lifetime of these kinds of events, you can become fairly cynical about the motives of healthcare professionals and about their dedication to their jobs and those under their care. The response that has been shown by the folks in the Roche RO5024048 study is the kind of event that can restore your faith in doctors.

In the first phone call to me informing me that I had had a viral breakthrough, AVB the study coordinator told me that I should ask Doctor B, the hepatologist, what she thought about my continuing treatment outside the study protocol. She said there were no guarantees, but I should certainly ask the question. I did not have a lot of confidence in Doctor B’s response. She is the lead doctor on the study. She gets her name on the research paper written about the study and in the interests of gaining research data for the study putting me off-protocol does not help her do that.

When we had our meeting just after the retest blood draws, she went over the viral breakthrough test results and mentioned that, subject to the results of these tests, I would be off the research treatments. AVB mentioned that I had a question for her and I asked about continuing treatment outside the study. Doctor B wanted to look at me test results and most particularly my dosing record. We she examined them in detail and saw that the breakthrough had occurred after 2 skipped doses of interferon due to low neutrophil counts and that I had been on a reduced interferon dose for several weeks before that, her whole personal affect changed. It was a subtle shift from researcher to doctor. She looked closely at my viral load numbers and saw that I had been undetectable for between 12 and 18 weeks even on the reduced dosing and that the dose reductions had all been due to low neutrophil counts (neutropenia). She asked me how I had been handling treatment and the treatment side effects. She told me that outside the research study protocol, she could administer drugs to combat both the neutropenia and the lowered hemoglobin counts. This would allow me to have a good chance to continue treatment on the full doses of interferon and ribavirin, thus giving me the best chance to clear the virus. She mentioned that other drugs were in the pipeline and nearing approval, particularly telaprevir, and did I think I wanted to wait or to continue with treatment now.

I told her I was leaning toward continuing treatment now, but wanted to talk to doctor C, my gastroenterologist before I made my final decision. She immediately told me that she would call him and let him know the latest situation and that I should talk to him and my primary care person as soon as possible so as to be able to get the treatment drug approval process under way with the insurance company as soon as possible. She also volunteered to oversee my treatment if I got a referral to her from my primary care doctor. She also volunteered to call him as well and let him know the situation.

To see the change in view from research scientist to medical doctor determining the best course of care for her patient caught me completely off-guard. It seemed to occur in a matter of an eye-blink. She became completely focused on letting me know the options and the possibilities. It gives me a great deal of confidence in having her as my hepatologist going forward.

My conversation with Doctor C was similar. He wanted to know if I felt I could handle treatment going forward. He also wanted me to know that the percentages of clearing after an event like this are not high. He also emphasized the availability of the drugs to treat the low blood cell counts and the fact that this would allow the higher doses of the Hep C Standard of Care drugs. But the decision is always in my hands.

I am going forward with treatment. It may take a few weeks to get everything set up, but the test results don’t come back until after my usual dosing schedule, so I will have one last dose in my from the Roche study before I forge ahead on my own.

Just as a final note and reality check, I had a meeting with my primary Doctor K. I have some thyroid function issues due to treatment and he needed to prescribe something for that and issue the referral to Doctor B for insurance company purposes. Ah, the reality of being back in the arms of my overworked primary care doctor. Listen, no chance, talk over me, of course, give me confusing instructions, par for the course. It’s good to know something things don’t change…

No comments:

Post a Comment