I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Why Did I Continue Treatment…

Somebody asked the other day about what the thought process was that resulted in the decision to continue treatment in the face of a viral breakthrough roughly 6 months after the RO5024048 study began. It’s a good question and thinking about the answer made me thoroughly examine why I did decide to go on. After all, why not take a break after 6 months of side effects and wait for new drugs to come online?

It started with the positive initial results I had in the study. My viral load dropped from 13,000,000 to 4,000 (about a log 3.5 drop) in the first week of the study. That’s a pretty impressive result from 7 days of treatment and I was at 195 after 4 weeks of the study. Since I did not become undetectable (less than 15 which is the limit of the test’s detection) at week 4, I was did not have a Rapid Viral Response (RVR) but rather an Early Viral Response or EVR. An RVR means that in the general statistics of Hep C treatment you have about a 60% chance of clearing the virus (also known as a sustained viral response or SVR). An EVR puts you in the 40% range. While these are the cold hard statistics garnered throughout the history of Hep C treatment, the early results for the experimental drug RO5024048, which I believe I was taking, indicate the possibility of a 70% clearing rate. I was undetectable after my 6th week viral load test which means I reached that stage sometime between the 28th and 42nd day of treatment. For all I know my viral load dropped to undetectable the day after my 4th week test putting me tantalizingly close to the RVR cutoff. Sure it’s whistling past the graveyard to think that, but let me carry some illusions through this process.

Both I am my doctors are fairly well convinced that the viral breakthrough was the result of the dose adjustments in my interferon that were mandated by the research protocols. Treatment outside the study under the Standard of Care for Hep C gives me the opportunity to undergo the course of treatment at the full doses of interferon and Ribavirin. This gives the treatment the best chance of working for me.

I was at an undetectable viral load for somewhere around 18 weeks. During this time, my liver enzymes returned to normal and all my liver tests returned results in the normal range. They tell me that this means the inflammation in my liver has subsided and it has had at least a small window of time to begin a bit of healing. My liver disease was between a stage one and two and giving it time to heal will give me a much longer timeframe for the progress of the damage. If continuing treatment returns me to an undetectable level for another 20 plus weeks, this just can’t be a bad thing for my liver.

All things considered, I tolerate the treatment well. I have side effects and some are worse than others, but compared to the treatment issues that many other patients have it is pretty reasonable. I am continuing to work, albeit at a reduced level of hours. I able to keep what food I eat down through the occasional wave of nausea. The flu-like symptoms follow a reasonably predictable cycle and do not overwhelm me. Insomnia is an ongoing issue, but when it gets particularly intrusive, I have drugs that allow me to sleep without a sedative hangover. The most insidious effect the treatment had on me was the gradual onset of depression. However the deployment of antidepressant medication has made that a manageable issue as well. So if I can tolerate the treatment, why not continue to be aggressive in attacking the virus.

My employment situation is good. Both my boss and the Executive Director of the organization are firmly in my corner and are willing to work with me to create a situation which gives me the best chance to do my job and gives the organization some actual benefit from my continuing to work. There is no guarantee that this level of support will continue indefinitely. Either of the individuals might move on or retire and their replacements might not be as supportive.

My benefits are good. My employer pays for my health plan and the plan I have allows access to the CPMC Hepatology Center which has first-rate doctors and is on the leading edge in both treatment and research. I still have accumulated sick time I can use (though every time I look the number seems to have shrunk a lot more quickly than I thought it would) and my organization allows other employees to donate sick time to me. Luckily, I haven’t alienated everyone in the organization yet and several people (who seem to be frighteningly healthy) have offered to donate time to me. Again, this is the sort of thing you can’t count on being there forever, so why not take advantage of it while I can.

I have a pretty grim view of the financial future of the USA. What with huge deficits and unfunded liabilities; high unemployment, several more years of the housing mess in front of us, the treasury printing trillions of new dollars, the states being for all practical purposes bankrupt, etc, etc, etc, I figure I should go for the treatment while I can afford to do it.

Finally, I have the full support of my wife. She has been absolutely unflinching in her support throughout this process. After we talked about all the reasons for and against continuing, she supported the decision to go ahead and continues to believe along with me, that we are going to beat this virus. After all, it’s not even really alive. It’s just a protein coat with some RNA, damn it and if we can’t even beat something that doesn’t even meet the complete definition of being actually alive, what chance do we have…

No comments:

Post a Comment