I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bad News Is Not So Bad News 1

The situation of having a viral breakthrough and the decisions made about treatment in light of that breakthrough is a good illustration of the differences between undergoing treatment under the protocols of a drug trial and undergoing treatment under the Standard Of Care supervised by a hepatologist. There is a bit about that is this post.

I met with Doctor B, the doctor in charge of the Roche RO5024048 study today. I was getting the blood tests to confirm that I indeed had a viral breakthrough and met with her as part of that process. Given that it would be highly unusual for the tests to show that I was again undetectable, I am going to be dropped from treatment under the protocols of the study (the protocol is that if you show any viral activity at week 24, treatment is suspended). That being the case, I asked Dr. B what her opinion was of the value of my continuing outside the study using the standard interferon and ribavirin treatment.

She was initially noncommittal and wanted to see my viral load history and my dosing history for the Pegasys and ribavirin. She saw that my viral load had been undetectable for 18 weeks. She also saw that I had spent 5 weeks on a ¾ dose of interferon, had skipped 2 doses completely due to low neutrophil counts and had just resumed injecting at a ½ dose level. I had also been on a reduced dose of ribavirin for the past 7 weeks. When she saw that the breakthrough had occurred after the two skipped doses of interferon, she warmed to the idea. She asked me how I have been tolerating the treatment. I told her I had a lot of the usual side effects but that the addition of an antidepressant had really made a huge difference in my mental outlook and my mental energy. Then she pointed out the reasons she thought it might be worthwhile to pursue.

If you undergo treatment under normal circumstances, you can be prescribed drugs to reduce the loss of neutrophils (neutropenia). You can also be prescribed meds to help with the hemoglobin loss as well. They don’t do this in drug trials because they are trying to control the number of variables as well as to determine the effect the study meds are having with the interference of other drugs. Being able to take these additional medications means that the full doses of interferon and ribavirin can be maintained for the longest possible time during the course of treatment. It goes without saying that this increases the chances for a successful outcome.

In my case for about 40 % of the time I have been in the study, I have been taking reduced doses of just those standard medicines that have proven so successful against Hep C. Moving forward with treatment under full doses means I have a chance to reach a successful outcome. Given the 6 months I have spent on this so far, I don’t see why I shouldn’t grab that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment