I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Bad/Good News 3 – Participating in Future Research Trials

The final item that concerned me about moving out of the research trial and getting treatment through standard channels is one that will concern anyone in the same situation. Does making this decision preclude you from participating in future research trials?

I specifically asked AVB, the research coordinator about that issue. I framed the question to her that “since I am dropping out of the trial to pursue treatment outside the protocols and on my own…” She immediately cut me off at that point. Her statement to me was that I was not dropping out of the study. I was consulting with the medical personnel in the study and my own doctors and making a decision about what was in my best interests as a patient. This decision transcends the study and is about what is best for the patient in their attempt to fight their disease as effectively as possible.

She stated that I have followed all the protocols, come to all appointments, kept accurate records and come in for additional testing as the situation required. Patients who have done these things are considered to be good research subjects. That fact that patients who have been reliable subjects make decisions to pursue courses in the best interests of their long-term health does not preclude them from being included in further studies. She stated that given a history of positive participation in previous trials she would be inclined to include them in future studies for which they passed the screening.

She mentioned that their have been people who have dropped out of this and other studies she has been involved in either due to viral breakthroughs, inability to tolerate side effects or inability to follow the study protocols. Some of these patients have cut off all communication with the study, not returning phone calls, emails and letters and not returning the unused study medications. In some cases they cannot be found and their ongoing health cannot be determined. These are the sorts of patients she would not include in any future trial. They are not reliable subjects.

This was a load off my mind as my percentages are low to clear the virus on continued treatment. While Telaprevir will no doubt be approved soon, there is not guarantee that I would succeed with it either and having the possibility to participate in trials of future promising treatments is another arrow in the quiver, so to speak.

The only real downside is that I am no longer treatment-naive…

No comments:

Post a Comment