I am a 57-year-old white American male infected with Hepatitis C. I am involved in a controlled medical research study by Roche Pharmaceuticals of an experimental Polymerase Inhibitor (RO5024048 also known as RG7128) drug therapy for the virus. This document is the story of my illness and the experience of treatment. My lovely and pretty damn wonderful wife will be contributing her take on the experience as well.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Rest of the Story…

What really happened when I formally left the study was, needless to say, much less histrionic, though it had its own brand of drama.


I got a call from AVB in the morning announcing the lab results were back, I had a confirmed viral breakthrough and I had to stop taking the meds belonging to the research study. She was working on getting some medical samples from the Roche representative that would bridge me over until my insurance authorizations went through and my prescriptions for Pegasys and Ribavirin were filled. She told me that when she had some news she would contact me and then I could bring my old meds in and get the bridge meds from her.


Sure enough the call came through at 3:00 p.m. that same day while I was in an event planning meeting. She had arranged the bridge meds and could I get to the hepatology research center no later than 4:30 to pick them up and drop off the old stuff. I was without transportation, but promised to do my best. I excused myself from the meeting by telling everyone I had to go pick up drugs and started walking quickly the 1 ½ miles to my home.

As anyone in San Francisco who relies on the Municipal Railroad system, or MUNI as it is infamously known, schedules are something that are mostly honored in their breach. I walked the distance home along a MUNI route without seeing a bus during the entire 40 minutes. I grabbed my meds, diary, sharps container and fanny pack jumped in my trusty pickup and headed back toward the research center. I went back over the same route and still did not see a bus by the time I had to turn off on other streets.


When I got to the center, I met AVB and she collected my old meds and other materials. I actually got to keep my Roche Logowear. She explained that she had samples of Ribavirin and Pegasys that should tide me over until the insurance authorizations cleared and that she was on her way to Dr. B’s office (who had stayed late to be available) to get the necessary documents signed. She returned with the meds and with the gentleman who would be the nurse coordination for my treatment with Dr. B. She introduced us; he gave me his contact info and he told me he would be in touch with a day or two to follow up on the authorization status. He gave me some lab test request sheets and a preliminary schedule of when I needed to get lab tests done. The he shook my hand and, wished me good luck and said he would contact me soon.


AVB then went over the kit of materials that is given to outpatient treatment subjects and showed me how to use the preloaded syringes that the Pegasys came in. No more vials to fill syringes from, Yay!

At that point she wished me good luck, said that she was still available as well if I had questions or needed to go over any of my previous history on the study. She choked up a bit. I choked up a bit. I thanked her for all the efforts she had made on my behalf, she said don’t worry about that now, just work on having a successful treatment. We shook hands and she put her arm on my shoulder and walked me down the hall to say good-bye.


And that’s the Rest Of The Story…(apologies to Paul Harvey)


No comments:

Post a Comment